Of life, love, cats, dogs (and everything else in between).

Friday, August 3, 2007

Kway Chup

Kway Chup. Something so insignificant, perhaps something that you and i take for granted, but it's something that holds many special memories for me.

Last night, Dan and I went to our favourite kway chup stall in CCK and it set me thinking about alot of things that happened in the past. We wanted to go back to the stall at Upper Aljunied but it was a tad too far and we were too hungry to tahan a long car ride there. That was the place where we ate together after our first jam session, where we were making hand signals at each other behind our other band members' back, trying to tell the other person we'll chat later on the phone that night.

The jam studio cum pub that we met at has shifted to Prinsep Street i believe and the place is currently a bakery or something weird. Everytime we pass that street and the kway chup stall, we'll steal fond looks at that place and tease each about how things were before we started dating. 9 years ago, we were so young and so much in love.

9 years later, we've grown older, developed paunches and wrinkles but we're still so much in love, maybe much more surer about this than before because this love has stood the test of time.

Eating kway chup also reminds me of another special person who has already left us for a better place. If i remember correctly, ah meh used to buy me plain kway chup and i really mean just the plain kway without any liao (ingredients)!!!! It still baffles me why she does that but i know i hated it without a doubt.

I can't remember what i'll do to the kway chup (probably just refusing to eat it or dumping it when she's not looking) but if you ask me now, i'll die just for her to just me a another bowl of plain kway chup. Never mind if it's just soup and no liao whatsoever. Never mind even if it's from the worst stall in Singapore. It all doesn't matter now.

It's been a couple of years, but i still cry whenever i think of her. I think it's only right that me and Dan visit her sometime soon since she's always regarded me as her daughter and used to jokingly "demand" pig trotters from Daniel before we got married.

Never knew that a simple dinner of kway chup could have stirred up so much emotions in me. Happy memories and sad ones as well. Such ambivalence......all because of a bowl of kway chup.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a post.. love it to bits =) who is ah meh may i ask?

love that stood the test of time.. love this pharse!

11:41 PM

 
Blogger manniqueen said...

thanks cat :)

ah meh is my auntie cum nanny who take care of me till i was primary 1. almost like a mother to me...

9:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home